Visiting Scholars Program
Each year the Faculty of Architecture, Building and Planning welcomes academics from other institutions who wish to further their research at the University of Melbourne. We have been fortunate to welcome a number of distinguished scholars to the Faculty in the past, and our Visiting Scholars program aims to continue this collaboration with academics, both from Australia and overseas.
What is the Visiting Scholars Program?
Our Faculty is committed to encouraging the exchange and mobility of ideas. As part of this, we are keen to welcome Visiting Scholars to our Faculty to engage in further research, collaboration and professional development, to share and develop their work, and to contribute to teaching. The Visiting Scholars Program is committed to achieving this by providing a scholarly environment in which academics can conduct their work.
Visiting Scholars are chosen competitively on the basis of qualifications, quality of research proposal and relevance to the Faculty’s strategic future. Applications will also be assessed in consideration of existing institutional linkages, relevance of proposal and availability of Faculty resources to support the visit.
Visits would normally last for between two weeks and one semester (12-16 weeks) in duration, although visits of a longer term may be approved in certain circumstances.
How to apply
Before submitting an application, applicants must make contact with an academic member of staff within ABP to seek support for their visit.
Applications will be accepted at any time of the year, however to assist with planning we ask that applications are submitted a minimum of 6 months before the intended visit.
Please note that this timeframe is especially important if you do not currently hold a relevant visa for Australia. The University will be able to provide sponsorship for you to apply, however, visa related processes may require up to 3 months so please ensure that you allow adequate time between your application and proposed visit.
Applications to be submitted to Tammy Tatnell (Executive Assistant, Office of the Dean and General Manager)
Email: email@example.com, fax: +61 3 6947 2514
Applications should include the following:
- Covering letter, including proposed program, duration, contact details and nominated academic sponsor
- Research proposal outlining the topic, aims, sources of information and long term prospects of research
- CV including degrees, research and teaching appointments and publications
- Transcripts of most recent study completed (for junior scholars)
- Evidence of English language proficiency (from non-English speaking institutions)
- Letter of support from the Dean at current institution endorsing the visit and proposed study program
Applicants must be current employees of another academic institution, or scholars of established reputation in the peer community at the time of application.
PhD or other graduate research students who wish to visit the Faculty should refer to the visiting graduate research scholars policy, guidelines and application form. Other students should refer to the Study Abroad and Exchange website.
During their program, Visiting Scholars are expected to make a contribution to Faculty life through:
- Presentation – making at least one public presentation (seminar) of their academic work to the Faculty community
- Marketing – Providing biographic information for use and promotion on the Faculty’s website; be available for media interest regarding their research ideas
- Contributing to the enrichment of the Faculty by participation in one or more of the following:
- Consultation with postgraduate research students with shared theoretical framings
- Lectures in the Faculty’s teaching programs
- Professional development session for professional community within the applicant’s area of expertise
- Acknowledgements – Visiting Scholars are requested to acknowledge the Faculty in any published work or presentation arising from research undertaken during their visit
- Report – As part of finalising their visit, the Visiting Scholar will submit a report to the Associate Dean (Outreach) outlining their activities and outcomes during the period of their stay. A summary of this report may be published online.
Tammy Tatnell (Executive Assistant, Office of the Dean and General Manager)
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org tel: +61 3 9035 7980, fax: +61 3 6947 2514
Visiting Graduate Research Scholars: contact email@example.com